Wednesday, August 15, 2018

WIP Wednesday

A little more of Nash Ichor --

WHERE HE GOES

An endless pursuit for one missing element.

Nash Ichor embraces every damn bit of what he is. Echoes of family, war, remorse and pain, even memories of Heaven—none of it belongs to him. He seizes it from every existence he steals. Taking their blood, or feeding his prey, the aftermath becomes part of Nash’s journey. Each day he seeks fresh, new encounters stalking one elusive experience… Life!

MacKena Temley has never been a girly girl which made her secretarial job for an engineering firm perfect. She spent more time ribbing men and delivering blue prints for various builds than sitting at a desk. An errant delivery one fateful day and Mac’s life is about to change forever.

Excerpt:
“Do you know anything about those blueprints I delivered to Switton?”
“No but after you left I heard the boss say he’d gotten a call and he wanted you to deliver them.”
“Me? Why?”
“When he asks, our bosses are gonna make sure it happens.” He, almost as if he were God, was how everyone in the shop referred to TEM’s owner; in fact, no one knew what TEM stood for. “Never met the head honcho but our leaders aren’t fearless when it comes to dealing with him.”
“Strange because the person at the address said they weren’t his and my car is broken down in front of his house. I left the prints. I’ll figure a way to handle it tomorrow since I have to get my truck anyway.”
“That won’t be necessary, I’ve handled it.”
Mac swiveled to stare into… Jesus, he had freaky eyes. Now they appeared sea green. “Look, Mr. Ichor, you can’t keep rescuing me because at some point you’ll exact payment. My bank account does not overflow with cash and I’m not giving you anything else.”
“Call me Nash, please, and why would I require payment? I feel responsible as a misdirected delivery to my home precipitated your troubles.”
Did lights blink? “That’s not your fault.”
“It’s unimportant. Your vehicle has already been towed to a service station and it will be delivered to your home upon completion. You should seriously consider a newer model of transportation.” He pivoted and took two strides before stopping. Over his shoulder, he said, “Twice you have misjudged me. I’m not sure the caliber of men you deal with, MacKena, but I would never expect the anything else you speak of.” His eyes smoldered. “That is a treasure to be earned.”
Manny snorted. “Dude, you could seriously give the rest of us bad reputations.” Amy elbowed him in the ribs.
“Gee, great advice but unless you’re buying, I’m riding old style.” She grinned. “I apologize for presuming but I like my independence. I’m not willing to trade it for any old thing. I do, however, appreciate your having Andrew bring me to AC.”
He faced the table but stayed where he was. “You should have accepted my offer of clothing.”
“What I’m wearing is fine, thank you.” Handsome as a Greek god, not lacking in wealth evidently, why was the man standing in a Mexican restaurant wasting time with her? He had to be dying in that damn coat. “You should rethink your attire. Aren’t you hot?”
“No.”
“Well you’re making me hot.” Though she wouldn’t complain about being his arm candy, MacKena never fit that mold. Too straightforward and mouthy. Hell, she might have one, maybe two suitable dresses in her closet to accompany someone like him if he asked her to dinner let alone anywhere fancier. MacKena didn’t mind; she liked who she was and she took care of herself.
“What is money worth if you can’t make someone happy?”
She picked up a note of sadness as eyes darkened. “Are you happy, Nash?” Asking questions, drawing this encounter out would only be torture as she wished she’d had the beer at his place. Gotten to know him. Why? He came off straitlaced and proper and that type never excited her. “I’m sorry, that’s not my business.” Unfortunately, Nash Ichor awakened something in MacKena.
“I would be happy if you’d accompany me on my boat for that beer I feel I owe you.” He shrugged. “I’d invite you to my home but my seating problem will not be solved for a bit.”
“Rather difficult to entertain with one chair even though it would seat two.”
“Perhaps not proper to say but,” A glint settled in his eyes. “My bedroom is fully furnished.”
“I bet it is.” Okay, not as prudish as she imagined.

Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out. - J. Hali Steele

1 comment: