Thursday, March 25, 2010

What's in a Name?

I got an email this week that made me think more about this. I'd created a name for a character that turned out to be an actual person's name and they were interested in the story behind the name. How I came up with the name was by combining the name of a childhood toy and the meaning of the word 'rare', and then I added a letter to keep the hero's and heroine's name from sounding too much alike.





!HERE'S YOUR NEXT EASTER BLOG HOP STOP!






Many of my heroines are named after my sisters who insisted they appear somewhere in a story. I love my sisters--they're as different as I am. Now I have girlfriends who want to be portrayed in stories. Boy are they in for a shock! Well, not really--they all know what I write about and they get a kick out of it.

For the heroes I usually use something that corresponds to where they originate from and what they are. In WITH EXTRA CREAM the hero is a jaguar so he's named Jag. He protects a compound of shifter cats that have ties to an Arizona compound. Hence, we have Jag Arizon. In SCREWED, Purple P Rose was named simply because I filled her vampyre menage with lots of purple prose. And so in that story we also have Peter Hard, Richard E Rection and Bent Staff--yes, they mean exactly what you think!

Then there are those names I used because I simply liked the name. Peri, Trent, Aldan and Bree--they are just neat names.

Have you ever seen your name in a book and wondered how the author came up with it?

Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out.-© J. Hali Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment